St. Paul’s Choristers
At St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, La Porte, we are excited to launch a new chorister program for children. The choir will be rooted in the English Choral tradition. The program is designed to develop children’s vocal abilities and give them music reading skills that will enable them to continue in choir programs throughout their adult life. Initially, the choir will be a combined group of children, grades 1st through 5th. Children in the choir do not need to be members of St. Paul’s, but everyone is asked to participate whenever the choir sings for St. Paul’s worship services.
The goal of the choir is to teach children to read music. At it’s most basic theoretical level, this is accomplished by teaching the methods for understanding rhythm and pitch. While technical sounding, there are a variety of fun activities to engage imagination while learning these techniques. Rote singing methods will allow us to begin to sing in worship quickly. As we grow, we will transition into reading music utilizing the Solfege method. The choir’s primary source of music will be the church’s hymnody, liturgy, and sacred chant.
For more information, contact us using the form provided here.
Henry Erben built the organ for the original church of 1846. After that building was enlarged in 1869, the organ was sold to St. Peter’s Catholic Church. The Steer and Turner tracker-action organ was purchased in 1871 and installed in1872. In 1897 it was moved to the new church and placed in its present location at the side of the chancel. Electrified in the 1920’s, it was originally hand pumped. A receipt remains, dated January 25,1921, for “payment in full of original organ construction.” The organ was dismantled and removed in July 1978 to be restored and rededicated on May 20, 1979. In the La Porte Herald July 1, 1871, it reports, “Our Episcopal friends have purchased an organ for use in their church, costing $2,500.00. [It] will be the largest instrument of the kind in Northern Indiana save the one at Notre Dame.” In 1981 it was recognized “as an instrument of exceptional historic merit worthy of preservation,” the only one in the Chicago area and one of only twenty so named.” Of the $35,000 required to restore the organ, $20,000 was raised by members of the congregation who stuffed advertising supplements in the local newspaper several hours a week over a period of time. Gifts and memorial donations made up the rest of the funds.